There has been lots of questions regarding joining a Zwift meetup or creating and event, and during this difficult time it’s a good way to ride and train virtually together.
What is Zwift
Zwift is a turbo trainer game that enables you to link you turbo trainer up your computer, iPad, iPhone or Apple TV, letting you ride with other cyclists in a virtual environment, therefore helping to alleviate some of the boredom associated with indoor riding.
As well as competing against others riders in Zwift racers, those seeking specific training sessions can access workouts designed by professional coaches, and these can be completed in groups with riders completing efforts at the same intensity based on a percentage of their FTP.
What you’ll need
- Turbo/smart trainer with built in power meter or standard turbo trainer but running a on bike power meter
- Laptop or iPad with the Zwift app
- Smart phone with companion app
- Zwift subscription
Joining an Event meetup
- Make sure you are following the organiser (this allows them to invite you) The invite will be displayed within the companion app
- Accept the invite before events starts
- Make sure you are on Zwift warming up on the same course and route 5 mins before the event starts
- In the bottom left corner you’ll get a prompt to join meet up, press “Let’s go”
- Once an event starts you can’t join it part way through
- So long as the organise has selected “Keep everyone together” you wont get dropped as it evens out the speeds. If you stop pedalling though you will get dropped!
- You can use the companion app to type messages or hit M on your laptop to bring up a message panel.
- You can quit the meet up anytime
Sometimes Zwift doesn’t always work so occasionally you don’t get the prompt.
Make sure you companion app is up to date.
Creating a Meet up
- Anymore can create a meetup, but you’ll need to use the companion app
- Under EVENTS select press the 3 people icon and then “Create Meetup”
- Select date and time
- Select Course
- Select route
- Set distance or duration
- Press the “+” symbol to invite people (ensure people are following you)
- Customise meet up “Keep everyone together”
- Add a message with any required details
- Press “CREATE MEETUP” to complete
- At anytime you can go in and edit your meetup
- During the ride you can message the group
- As leader there will be a beacon overhead
- Riders within your meetup will be displayed in green on the right hand side when riding.
You can only invite people who follow you
You are limited to inviting 50 followers
You can only ride on the course (world) scheduled at the time of your meetup
Meetups can be scheduled up to 7 days in advance
There is no late joining of meetups
You can only create three meetups per 24 hours period at this time.