This briefing is intended for those club members who want to take part in our Monday evening Chain Gang sessions which will recommence on Monday 6th July.
These rides are aimed at all levels and groups of riders of similar abilities and are a great way of improving your fitness and bike handling skills.
Each and every one of those taking part, whether rider or official, now have a greater responsibility and it’s essential that those responsibilities are understood. We must act as cycling ambassadors, further enhancing the image of not just our club but also that of our sport and play our part in not transmitting the Covid-19 virus.
You must not take part if you feel unwell, have any Covid-19 symptoms or suspect that you may have been exposed to someone who has, or if you live or work with someone who has started self-isolating in the last 14 days. This is the primary means of not infecting other riders or volunteers and must be adhered to.
As a club we have prepared a new set of Chain Gang protocols which must be read by all members wishing to take part which can be found here: New COVID-19 Chain Gang Protocols
Before the Chain Gang
1) There will be no “on the evening” entry until further notice as we have to manage the size of the groups as per government social distancing guidelines.
2) For the foreseeable future only club members will be allowed to go on Chain Gangs. You must bring your membership card with you.
3) All members wishing to take part will have to complete an online registration form, the link for which will be published here on the website, on the club’s Facebook group and by email to all members.
4) Pre-registration will be open from the Thursday before the Monday of the ride and will close on Monday afternoon. Late submissions cannot be accepted.
5) If you have pre-registered but are unable to ride, you MUST email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as you know to allow your reserved place to be assigned to another rider. Failing to do this and not turning up may prevent you from being accepted on future rides.
6) Riders will now meet on the Warwick Road layby just past the Barley Mow pub and before Ludlow Drive.
On the Ride
Whilst on the ride there are a number of new protocols that have been introduced for riders, officials and general public safety which must be followed. It is your responsibility to ensure you understand these and abide by them. Your Chain Gang Leader will remind you of them before and during the rides. Failure to comply will result in removal from the group and potential exclusion from future rides. Link to the new protocols can be found here
Some of the key protocols are:
1) Social distancing must be maintained throughout the ride – that means a minimum of 1m between the wheels of the riders at all times.
2) All riders must bring the necessary PPE as defined by the Government
3) Absolutely no spitting or nose clearing by anyone will be tolerated unless it’s into a tissue
Your familiarisation, understanding and cooperation with these new rules is both appreciated and essential if we are to comply with the Government’s legislation, British Cycling guidance and club rules.
The changes may seem onerous but are required if we want to return to some kind of club rides whilst managing the risk of the transmission of Covid-19 and a lot of work has taken place by the club officials to ensure we can get back to doing what we love in 2020.