This year’s BSCC Spring Reliability Ride takes place on Sunday the 18th of April. The route is our familiar and picturesque 61 mile/100km ride on quiet roads circling around Banbury, taking in the delights of the Cotswolds with a few climbs thrown in for good measure.
Whilst wanting to preserve the rider experience and history of a Reliability Ride, Covid restrictions will obviously dictate mandatory changes from how previous Rides have been conducted and all participants will have their part to play in acting responsibly and appropriately to mitigate the risk of virus transmission and also remain within the law at all times so protecting the image and reputation of Banbury Star CC and the wider sport of cycling.
The event will still start and finish at the roundabout at Woodgreen Leisure Centre, Banbury, OH16 0HS but here are the changes we’ve had to implement to make it a Covid-compliant ride:
1) You will have to register online to take part, there is no registration on the day as per previous years. The link is at the bottom of this page.
2) There is no payment, just for once it’s a freebie on behalf of the club for saying thank you for supporting us!
3) There is no parking at the Leisure Centre.
4) You must not go inside the Leisure Centre before or after the ride.
5) You must not congregate in groups outside the Leisure Centre before or after the ride. If you do want to ride as part of a small group please meet elsewhere.
6) Riders can depart at any time between 0900 and 0930, there are no preset leaving times based on ability level.
7) You must not ride in groups of more than six riders.
8) On finishing, just ride around the Leisure Centre roundabout to complete the Strava segment and then leave the area immediately.
9) You must not gather in groups after completing the ride.
10) The much-coveted finisher’s certificate won’t be available this time, you’re doing it purely for the love of a great ride in the countryside.
11) Post your ride time on the Banbury Star Facebook group when you get home.
12) Put your feet up and enjoy a well-earned beverage of your choice.
Reliability Rides require the rider to estimate their finish time, for this particular route the targets are:
Leisure Pace. For riders stating a time of 4 – 4 ½ hours.
Intermediate Pace: For riders stating a time of 3 ½ – 4 hours.
Fast Pace: For riders stating a time of 3 ½ hours or less.